Great Sky in Canton, GA
About Great Sky
Living in Great Sky can make you feel like you’ve got the best of everything.Whether you’re in need of idyllic, picturesque scenes of nature and beautiful rural countryside, or need something a bit more urban—Canton offers both. The Great Sky neighborhood is nestled along the beautiful Hickory Log Creek Reservoir, which opened to the public for fishing and boating in 2013. A master-planned community, Great Sky possesses excellent features and amenities, and creates a sense of home. For those who want to make a place that welcomes generations of family members, encourages friends to visit, and allows close ties with neighbors—Great Sky is an attractive choice. It is a place that slows down the pace, but also keeps you close enough to the arts, culture, and action of Atlanta and Downtown Canton. It is a community that celebrates nature, nurtures relationships, and allows you to move effortlessly into the next phase of your life.
Who Lives in Great Sky
Retirees, couples, and families come together to form a lively, community-oriented vibe. Although the lifestyle is a little more relaxed, people still get out to socialize, explore, and stay active. They prefer a smaller—but not too small—city, and revel in an area that comes with rich history and natural beauty. People in Great Sky and Canton are willing to take a moment to soak in their surroundings, and also stop and chat with other residents about daily happenings. Even when life is busy with daily tasks and activities, there is always time to play. While some come to the area for the excellent education, others appreciate the stable economy. Amidst Canton’s constant renovation, revitalization, and growth, the Great Sky neighborhood and its residents manage to stay a tranquil oasis in a thriving area.
Real Estate in Great Sky
The Great Sky neighborhood caters to many tastes. However, one common and distinct thread is homes that are functional but still boast unique and custom touches. Couples whose children have recently vacated the nest will enjoy things like master suites on the main floor, which conveniently creates privacy for guests. Features everyone will appreciate include chef’s kitchens, hardwoods, walk-in closets, dens/offices, screened porches with epic views, quiet cul-de-sacs, great rooms, bonus rooms, and custom built-ins. Styles come in a lovely range of looks, but tend towards craftsmen finishes. Nature was taken into account in both views and outdoor spaces. You can find ponds, waterfalls, and special touches. Of course, one of the main benefits of a Great Sky home is the community amenities. Residents can utilize the pool, club house, tennis courts, and playground.
Highly Rated Schools around Great Sky
- Avery Elementary School | Grades PK-5
- Freedom Middle School | Grades 6-8
- Creekview High School | Grades 9-12
- Cherokee Charter Academy | Grades K-8
Canton also has one of the Chattahoochee Technical College campuses. The college specializes in all types of education including adult continuing education and non-credit classes, transferrable courses, occupational programs, and associate degree, diploma, and certificate programs.
Where to Indulge
One of the best parts Canton and Great Sky is the ability to choose from a wealth of activities. Atlanta is situated only about forty miles away with big city options, but there are also plenty of adventures to be had in your own backyard. Because of the close proximity to the Blue Ridge Mountains, walkers and hikers will find many opportunities, and budding photographers can improve skills by capturing Canton’s quaint and scenic treasures. Hobbies are easily indulged, making Canton an ideal place to live.
- Wander the Etowah Trail – The Etowah Trail offers locals some wonderful scenery. Maintained by the City of Canton and BSA Troop 241, there are more than enough chances to view the plants, animals, and unique features of the region. There is a beautiful bridge that makes the longish journey worthwhile. Fall is the perfect time to experience the most vibrant colors.
- Photograph Gresham’s Mill – Every once in a while you see a photograph that makes you think of simpler times, nature’s perfection, and is an ode to our nation’s rich culture and history. Canton has a few of these spots, but one of the more prominent ones is Gresham’s Mill. It is a great place to practice photography skills and how to capture colors, texture, and light. Once you have your shot, you can show friends and family why Canton is a delightful place to call home.
- Plan a meal at the farmer’s market – If your hobby involves cooking, Canton can give you the freshest ingredients available. From May through October, plan a weekly gourmet epicurean spread using produce that is in season. There are also other locally sourced items from farms, ranches, and artisans available. Every Saturday brings new opportunity to concoct memorable dishes that will indulge your inner chef.
- Birdwatch in your own backyard – Living in a more rural area increases your chances of seeing more species of birds, and each month features a different bird on the Great Sky website. Purchase a book, get some gear, and see if you can spy an Indigo Bunting, Purple Martin, Peregrine Falcon, Mourning Dove, or one of the other many types of birds while you enjoy your outdoor space.
- Take a weekend getaway – Sometimes you need a big-city pace. Luckily you don’t have to travel too far. Look into Atlanta hotel deals, attractions, shows, and restaurants that strike your fancy and schedule the occasional getaway.